It is the policy of The Gregory Kistler Treatment Center that all workforce members, including but not limited to, staff, students, observers, and volunteers preserve the integrity and the confidentiality of protected health information (PHI) pertaining to our patients. The purpose of this policy is to ensure that our organization maintains the necessary healthcare records and other PHI to provide the highest quality healthcare possible while protecting the confidentiality of the PHI of our patients. To that end, our organization and its workforce will:
- Adhere to the standards set forth in the Notice of Privacy Practices.
- Collect, use and disclose PHI only in conformance with state and federal laws and current patient covenants and/or authorizations, as appropriate. Our organization, its staff, observers, students, and volunteers will not use or disclose PHI for uses other than treatment, payment, and operations without an authorization from the patient, except when required by law.
- Recognize that PHI collected about patients must be accurate, timely, and complete.
- Implement reasonable measures to protect the integrity of all PHI maintained about patients.
- Recognize that patients have a right to privacy.
- Recognize that patients expect to be treated with dignity at all times.
- Recognize that the patient has a right to inspect and obtain a copy of his or her PHI and to request an amendment to the medical record.
All workforce members of The Gregory Kistler Treatment Center must adhere to this policy. Violations of this policy will not be tolerated and are grounds for disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment, as well as potential personal, civil, and criminal legal penalties.